Revcon Slant Nose

Revcon Motorhome

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Hear the Crickets

Dan
Site Owner

It would seem the REVCON is going the way of its owners -- many, most of the Revcons left are second generation owners who, like the originial owners are getting more cranky than the coaches and fewer and fewer in number as well.  They have become too expensive to renovate.  The problem with these coaches is that the interior wood work is very sturdy and attractive making a long in the tooth motorhome look better than it really is.  A coach with 250,000 miles on it might look like it has only see 50,000.  Most of the people who could have afforded one of these (back in the day) did not buy them to sit in the drive way, tney were made to drive.  I would venture to say that any coach that show 50,000 miles on the OD is anywhere from 150,000 to 250,000 even if the inside of the coach looks like new.  This leads to some premature exchanges of titles -- most owners, now have inherited the coach and have no real idea the milage on these vintage rigs.  These coaches are just as expensive to repair and keep up as all other motorhome coaches except for the running gear up front, as these are front wheel drive and, beginning with the slant nose, were engineered by those building these coaches, so you cannot go down to the parts store and pick up a standard parts to plug and play.  While the differential in these coaches is a DANA 70, and they are supposed to be common and tough as tough can be, they are, or were, popular with those building their own rock climber and rock racer truck, and they have consumed them to the point they are now hard to find.  If you do find one you will have to have it cut to fit the Revcon as one side of the Revcon is several inches short.  The gearing inside is common but the case, if destroyed has to be replaced -- I did all of this so I do know what I am talking about.  I have replaced everything in my coach except for the original propane tank -- engine, transmission, Onan Gen, both Bell Cranks, radiator, water heater, water tank, front seats, brakes all around, change eingine over to serpentine belt system, ending v-belt problems these big engines have.  I have done other remodeling.  When I bought this the second owner led me to believe the OD was correct, showing only 68,000 miles -- that was a joke, a joke on me.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love this coach, it is the best driving and handling motorhome I have ever driven and I have test driven a lot of them.   This coach, when the front in is in shape and your seats are still good will drive like a comfortable van -- the down side is it will give you a false sense of security, forgetting this is not a van or pickup but a heavy motorhome and while the brakes are great you may surprise yourself by testing them out before you really want to.  I have nogotiated this coach through many a tight spot and it is surprising how will it handles in parking lots and high speed freeway travel.  I would really like to get a pro paint job -- it still looks good but up close it is looking pretty used.  Fortunately these coaches are aluminum skins so even where the paint may have worn to expose the sheet metal there is no rust, none.  This coach has never leaked water through the skin, some around the windows which is fixed by pulling loose and resealing.  Front cap is fiberglass and the rian gutter across the front windshields eventually allowed water to leak in.  For a long time I thought it was the windshields that was leaking but it was actually from the multiple screws used to secure the rain gutter and these screws, about 30 ot them, had been screwed clear through the fiber glass and allowed water in draining around the inside window shroud.  I cut the rain gutter off, smoothed off the damage and resealed for a leak free front end.  Ah, but hear the crickets?  I too am long in the tooth and will keep this coach running and when I pass someone will receive a reliable and unusual motorhome -- that is until -- well, until they sell it to someone for a few bucks -- the new milage on my old coach will be close to 40,000 miles even though its OD will say over 100,000 -- Still, don't trust the milage on any of the older coaches.  Engines with only 50K on them will look like near new on top and bottom.  I could go on and on but all I hear are the crickets  -- Peace to all or anyone that might read this.  

September 7, 2016 at 9:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.